A Really Old Quilt Top Breathes New Life

This quilt top, which my mother made for my sister, stayed in a dresser drawer or big old leather trunk for probably 50 years. Based on some of the fabric, I guess it was made in the late 50's or at least some of the blocks were. Perhaps a few were done in the early 60's at the latest (see red rose flower print below). I believe the background is guano (fertilizer) sacks, it's very uneven weave so I don't think it was store-bought muslin.



Here's a picture after I machine appliqued the circles over the open part of the dresden blades.



Here's what the blocks look like before the applique.




I got all the circles appliqued yesterday. Today I'll sew on the borders and next week I'll take it to the long arm to quilt. I'm still practicing on the long arm at my local quilt shop. I don't think I'll ever win any prizes but at least I'll get these lonely, long-ago tops out of the drawers and onto the foot of some bed.


1 comment:

mary.keasler@gmail.com said...

Wonderful to see you using those oldies but goodies. I have some of those myself ~ from my grandmother.
Hope to meet you at the first Chattanooga area Modern Quilt Guild meeting.

Artist Discovery of the Week

  Eszter Bornemisza - Fiber Art &; Mixed Media